Diocese of Paisley
In October 1948 a Paisley Diocesan Central Council of St Vincent de Paul was established. Prior to this date Renfrewshire, as existed at that time, formed part of the Archdiocese of Glasgow.
The present Diocese of Paisley encompasses the areas of Inverclyde, Renfrew and East Renfrewshire District Councils.
The first Conferences were formed during 1853, being St Mirin’s, Paisley and St Mary’s, Greenock both of which have served continuously to this day. Further Conferences were formed throughout Barrhead, Greenock, Port Glasgow, Paisley, Renfrew, Johnstone and Neilston and by 1900 there were 10 Conferences existing.
The Society continued to grow during the first half of the 1900’s and by 1948 the total number had reached 19, stretching from Gourock in the west through Greenock and as far as Clarkston.
Conferences also sprung up in the villages of Bishopton, Houston, Howwood and Linwood. At present there are 32 active Conferences. The latter part of the 1900’s saw massive regeneration with new parishes being set up and new Conferences being formed.
Paisley Diocese has 4 Special Works Conferences:
- Holy Spirit, Inverclyde, who support Jericho in their drug rehabilitation work;
- St Vincent’s Hospice, Johnstone, who provide support for those who care for the terminally ill;
- Our Lady of the Wayside, Paisley, who run the Paisley Ozanam Centre to feed the homeless and distribute clothing;
- Rosalie Rendu, Paisley, who run the Paisley Ozanam Club for those with special needs.